Saturday, September 15, 2007

Saya orang Melayu... dan beragama Islam

I have just finished the book, I Am Muslim by Dina Zaman. It was an intriguing reading but my mind start to wander off slightly after going through ¾ of the book. Maybe I felt that there was less humour and brain-thinking put into it. But overall, it is a thumb up! You guys should definitely have a go with it.

Sa/Sa asked me this interesting question. If non-Muslim (or largely the non-Malay) converts as Muslim by pronouncing the shahadah and then implement the 5 Rukum Islam, what about us the Malays? Religion is not inherited. Are we in every way Muslim, if we never say the shahadah? At what point does Malay become a Muslim?

Interesting, right.

Dina didn’t go into too much detail about akidah, ibadah, etc. She mainly touches on Malay, non-Malay and Islam. It is sad but true to note that some Muslim would go beyond the norm using religion as an excuse, and sometimes Islam is what you see on the outside, but far from what is inside. Does how we dress dictate what religion we believe? What about those with hijab yet always longing for their same kind, the epidemic of gay guys in the country (my my, a good friend of mine is actually gay), or married guys who forces their wife to perform anal sex, or as we go deeper, what about masturbating? What big sin we see now happening in the 20th century.

Repent! Repent!

Because they do not discover religion on their own, they don’t appreciate the modesty of Islam.

Repent! Repent!

Am I a Muslim?

My first shahadah might have been when I was in the kindergarden. We were thought the simple ‘bismillah’ before we start eating, and ‘Al Fatihah’ to start off the class, and not to forget the kalimah shahadah as a devoted Muslim. It made me curiously wonder, Was I Muslim then?
Have I been a good believer? The last time I read the Quran was slightly over 3 months ago. But I do remember God a lot (especially in time of need).
Do I score bonus point? I don’t drink. I don’t swear. I talk to God a lot (especially on my misery).

So, I think I am definitely Muslim. Are you?

8 comments:

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Cool!! aku dh lame nk bace buku tu tp .. erm.. segan nk beli ..well, u know the reason... (yer lah, even aku beli ticket MUKHSIN pun orng tanye macam2.. apatah lagi buku I AM MUSLIM??!?!!?) ..

Anyway, pernah bace sket dalam buku tu ... (pasal MASTURBATION tu pun dah sampai pun.. )... quite ineresting and really made me hampir2 bayor kt kaunter..

nnt balik nnt pinjam eh.

thedreamer said...

hmm..religion has not been a fave topic of mine as I feel my knowledge in this matter is very shallow.

However,I've read I Am Muslim couple months back and it was a very interesting read. A witty take on Malaysian's muslims..and oh boy, aren't there many?

I agree with you on the fact that Zaman didn't go into much details on Islam itself, and I prefer it that way. More details would have complicated it further kot. And my fave story is 'The Closer You Get To God' or something like that. Somehow, could relate to it.Heh..

Anyhoo,to me religion is all about belief and lifestyle. So if one Malay mamat or minah proudly declare he/she is a muslim, strongly believe in the religion but live a life so far from its teachings. what are they actually?

Muslim still? Or just Malaysians?;)

Suhana Sidik said...

A very interesting reading. I now am seriously into Malaysian writers, as their style of writing connect to the readers.

Sure.. bley aje pinjam.

Ni tiap2 hari stalk blog ppl ke ni. Isk.

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

stalking? Not really. On my way cari ilham to RESTART blogging pun.. hehe.. anyway, 1st offshore post dah published.

Anonymous said...

heya
if you are a muslim
mesti dah puasa kan?
selamat hari raya!
selamat berbelanja!
call tak angkat
nak ajak buka sekali
takpe..

Anonymous said...

I am reading the book now. Baru separuh, penat sey travel seremban - kl everyday.

I agree with the fact that we Malays are lacking with Islamic values compared to a convert. We treat our religion (which is Islam)more to culture obligation, which we have to obey to. Girls are made compulsory to wear hijab during elementary school, does it really works? When one does not ready to wear hijab, is she bad?

Well, I am more interested the way Dina realized Islam. The culture is still there, but she realises Islam by experience and observation. Afterall, only God knows our nawaitu.

Cheers Sue!

Anonymous said...

blink bile nak habis ni? or must we admit that it is not interesting enough, thus no one has finished reading it? :P

i find it hard to discuss how muslim i am, or perhaps everybody else. maybe we should leave that between us and our God.

Suhana Sidik said...

Jaded...
A good take, and you summarise it wisely (and you are always way in front of me in terms of readings. Haha)

Ey...
I want to go offshore too!

Syuk...
Was in a meeting hari tu. Finished late. Then had to rush off to Nikko with boss. Sorry...

Almost Heaven (hmm.. feels like i know you?)...
I remembered when i was young, and i was force to wear the hijab. Then before i went oversea, i took it off. Was it bad?

Da...
Yes, we can show ff to people that we are Muslim by our physicoal appearance or even solat 5x tak tinggal kan, but God knows best. Ikhlas ke kita?