Thursday, September 13, 2007

Negaraku Tanah Tumpah Darahku

I am not trying to be racist or sound too harsh on the reality of Malaysia today when we have just celebrated our 50th year of independence (whether its Malaya or Malaysia, it still is Independence Day for our nation. Why should it matter?)

Anyway, today is the start of Ramadhan. So, I woke up to the normal sahur at 5 am and watched Majalah 3 on TV3 (da!). The episode today is on the famous Tok Dalang in Kelantan, an art master for the ‘Wayang Kulit’. To date, there are 9 registered ‘Wayang Kulit’ group in Kelantan, and I am pleased to note that there is a non-Malay Tok Dalang in the group who spoke flawless Kelantanese, and look every bit Malaysian. It amazed me that there are other ethnic who appreciates the art and culture that Malaysia has.

And it reminded me to a very good friend of mine, Ey’de Lefty who is also from Kelantan. He also speak flawless Malay, and people seldom mistaken him as a Malay. We call him Aiman sometimes.

Am I being every bit racist here? So, you are Malaysian if you appreciate Malay culture, and speak Malay fluently?

I wouldn’t say that. I embrace other ethnic. I watch Chinese movies and dramas (where I can even understand Cantonese from those hours and hours of watching Chinese soaps), Hindustan 3-long hour movie, and even at one time, tried learning Mandarin. To me, I would like to proudly say that Malaysian is those who embrace other ethnic and culture, and proud to be at the very soil of Malaysia!

Have you wonder how Indonesian can be sooo.. Indonesian? Because they embrace the Indonesian culture! It doesn’t matter what race you are, Indonesian are typical Indonesin in every angle you see it.

Racist.. racist..

NOOO…

I do have this particular friend of mine back during the study days in Melbourne, who couldn’t speak any Malay or know of the Malay culture, but appreciate the little knowledge he knows of Malaysia. Having spent his whole childhood in Hong Kong doesn’t make him any less Malaysian. He could have stayed and work in Melbourne, but he wanted to come home and work in Malaysia, as he believes that there are a lot of things he can do for his proud nation. We were mentor and mentee of each other, both eager to learn about the other culture. He might not able to speak Malay, but he is Malaysian in every way.

When I went to a function in Malacca last month, we were asked to stand and sing the Negaraku. It surprised me when some could not. Maybe the famous u-tube version of Negaraku made more impact to them, as they then fallen to silent retreat.

When the minority outgrows the majority and these minorities does not appreciate Malaysia’a culture & heritage, what will the future hold for the nation?

6 comments:

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

ok i just got to admit that it has been real long time i did not drop by ur blog and have a real close look.. erm..read. And I hv to admit as well cuz when u started to mention bout MALAYSIAN, I DO expect u to mention my name (HOW COULD U NOT??!!! :p ) anyway, I used to post a post about the same stuff sempena our nation 50th birthday.. but things dragged and I just even forgot the existence of my blog.. hehehe.

Anyway, good post. Have u read Fiza's blog? Yeah I would say, ur post is anotehr surprise for me after hers. :)

Aiman

Suhana Sidik said...

Haha.. I didn't elaborate on you, dear Aiman. But, you are indeed a Malaysian, and you made me very proud!

Yeah, Fiza. Tak post comment lagi. First post is very interesting (you might think that she is putting all her energy into the first post, with that enthusiastic long writing). Haha.

Come back soon.

Anonymous said...

i am among few malaysian who sings Negaraku every single day (terpaksa and dipaksa)
even my alarm clock sing Negaraku
in fact
i even sing negaraku more than i sing my fave song tho i'm not a good singer, does it make me a patriotic malaysian?
naah. i dont think so.

Anonymous said...

"I am pleased to note that there is a non-Malay Tok Dalang in the group who spoke flawless Kelantanese, and look every bit Malaysian. It amazed me that there are other ethnic who appreciates the art and culture that Malaysia has."

So the Tok Dalang was not from Malaysia?

Suhana Sidik said...

Anonymous (or my bro-Syuk?)...
At least you are one step from realising the Malaysian dream. Haha. At least, you remember that you are Malaysian. But wait, even the alarm clock? Are you serious....!!

Da...
Tok Dalang is from Malaysia. But some Malaysian don't look and sound Malaysian... immigrants.

Anonymous said...

is from Malaysia, but not Malaysian? or not Malay? just wondering, because if said wrong, people would assume that you were racist. :P