Monday, March 16, 2009

Have You Told a LIE?

Have you ever told a lie, with the intention of deceiving others either in a good or bad way. (But then again, can you really justify it even how noble the intention might be?)

I told a lie today, and I am not proud of it.

Hey, it’s a white lie. It really is not that bad ok, and I really am thinking for the sake of others…. What a fullload of bull.

How do you define a white lie?

A white lie would cause no discord if it were uncovered, and offers some benefit to the liar, the hearer, or both. White lies are often used to avoid offense, such as complimenting something one finds unattractive. In this case, the lie is told to avoid the harmful realistic implications of the truth. As a concept, it is largely defined by local custom and cannot be clearly separated from other lies with any authority.

I think I told a white lie today, and God forbid, I hope that it will not come back to me eventhough the rule of karma is strictly embedded in my believe. But hey, it was something that has happened in the past, and I fail to make a big deal of it then. And I thought now is the best time to reproduce that historical event, and use it to my advantage (or is it?). So, I have used it in time of emergency! It best fits what they say, an 'Emergency Lie'

What is an Emergency lie?
An emergency lie is a strategic lie told when the truth may not be told because, for example, harm to a third party would result. For example, a neighbour might lie to an enraged husband about the whereabouts of his unfaithful wife, because said husband might reasonably be expected to inflict physical injury should he encounter his wife in person. Alternatively, an emergency lie could denote a (temporary) lie told to a second person because of the presence of a third.

Wait, that doesn’t sound right too. I didn’t actually lie. I had just omitted some very critical facts like it has happened over more than 4 months ago… err..

All because I was quite taken aback by what someone said. I just wanted to state a case, and make sure that I have concrete reason to support it.

I had just finished reading Outliers, and I then realised what I lack of as opposed to all these Mat Saleh. I just wasn’t as blunt as they were, and I tried very hard to make them like me. I just need to step up, and ensure that they don’t look at me as a ‘little girl’ but someone whom just as equal.

So I lied. It is just a beginning to more bold and blunt things I will do. You’ll see.

Oh, and what lie best describe what I did today..?

Lying by omission
One lies by omission by omitting an important fact, deliberately leaving another person with a misconception. Lying by omission includes failures to correct pre-existing misconceptions. A husband may tell his wife he was out at a store, which is true, but lie by omitting the fact that he also visited his mistress, although it is disputable whether or not this is actually a lie. In most cases, the person has not directly denied a truth, but merely omitted some part of what transpired.

They say a liar is a person who is lying, who has previously lied, or who tends by nature to lie repeatedly
Which one describes me? .. Now or Eventually?

I feel like my nose getting longer.. No...

No comments: