Monday, January 22, 2007

Kesedihan di Wajah Mereka

I just got back from a long weekend in Segamat helping out with the flood relief and rehabilitation program. Such a great impact…

I feel glad that I live in the city where no flood or tsunami can threaten us. I feel glad that I would not live in poverty, losing everything that I own. I feel glad knowing that my loved ones would not be exposed to these miseries.

We were packing the items to be distributed for the villagers at Kampung Jawa and it sadden me more to think that even a simple donation of toothbrush and soap are part of the NEED item. What can you expect? We ended up packing up more things like sanitary pads and under wears. Everything was put together in this big pail, along with two blankets and mattress for each families. Just imagine. Now, their only possession is this pail and mattress given by Petronas. Life has to start again from ground-0.

The big hall that accommodate hundreds of innocent families.
The single pail that contains all that they own.
The sad faces of mom and dad looking at the 1 x 2 m of space they now own.

But then seeing those joyful faces of their children who run freely and happily knowing they used to have swimming pool at their own back yard. At least, that put back some smile. At least, not all joy is gone.



Dear God,
Jauhkan segala kesusahan begini.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear writer.
you have been most brilliant when you went to pay them a visit, lending a hand. i think malaysians largely are good hearted & kind.
to see & actually feel their pain is aching. but to see little kids running around playfully is something else.
some of these people i believe are under-priveleged. but how come their children (or rather the children) can somehow having the time of their life?
i'd say, carry on with your big heart and beautiful soul. help those in need whilst you have the means, the ability, the support & the heart.
'a good deed would go a long way', a dearest Jamaican man once told me.

ganbatte ne!

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

It was a surprise for me to read this entry and it's not a big surprise for me to know u are doing this.

I felt embarrassed for not joining this great effort and lending helping hands to those needed... and even worse, I only knew this great effort was going on thru somebody else's blog..

sigh.

spider

Suhana Sidik said...

Guys,
Thank you for the support. I'll keep on doing this (knowing me, I was actually thinking of taking a 1-year non-paid leave this year).

Anonymous...
Wish I know who you are. But you strong word of support motivates me.

Ey...
There are always other chances. What's more important is the intention.

Ganbatte :D