Saturday, October 11, 2008

Toastmaster - Hidup Mesti Terima Kegagalan

Sometimes in life you just have to learn to accept the fact that life does not always treat you fair, and learn to handle resentment as ethical as you can. Sometimes you must not take things too personal and accept what fate has chosen for you.

I was furious at the fact that I lost, cause I thought I had it pretty much bagged and ready to go. Luckily I didn't show the sign of pure bliss of confidence, else, I would have stormed out of the room deniably claiming my ‘lost’.

Ok, so there I was rewinding the moment, rethinking about . What did i do wrong? How could I have been ONLY second best?

Everyone congratulated me on a speech well done, and some said that I should have won. I gave a fake smile and gave the humble answer where I don’t think I was not good enough to begin with. Secretly I knew I was not making sense. If only you were there, you could see that I have moved leaped from my early un-confident speech. I have transformed myself. It was shaky at the beginning, but I went off marvelously once I have gained my confidence.

I spent that night on the bed, playing my speech on my head over and over again and comparing mine to the guy who won. I keep thinking about why life has been unfair to me, that the contest was not just about who’s the best. Somehow he appeals more, I guess. It’s not about who has the best English or the best content, it’s maybe about who warms up more to you even before the contest begin? Who has a more catchy opening? It’s all starting to make some sense.

This is what happened during the recent Area Humor & Evaluation Contest for toastmasters, and yes, I won 2nd place. I need regain my momentum and fight back to win the Divisional level. I just need to be better for myself, and everyone else.

Don’t worry. I’m just being a tad dramatic here, one like period, which I do have every now and then. Wish me luck for the next one.

2 comments:

IZWAN SHAHMIN said...

Wishing you Good Luck for next time..
:P

Anonymous said...

I've seen Dan*** Teh finishing outside the top 3 at a division contest. And the person who got 3rd wasn't really that good. It happens..

-Mas