Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Adikku Bertemu Kemalangan

As I walked into the Emergency Unit, I saw him on the hospital bed looking helpless as ever. Two nurses and a trainee doctor were just at each side of the bed trying to calm him down. His newly bought pant (which was bought for the sole purpose of a government interview that he flunks because he was not able to march properly) and his blue office attire were tainted in red.

He holds on tightly to my hand, trying hard to divert his focus from the excruciating pain on both his legs. The two doctors who operated on him had the earlier intention to place the plates on both legs, but they got stuck doing his left leg only. There were multiple fractures on his left leg that it took 5 hours for them to operate on before they decided to call it a day.

I remembered him telling me right before the surgery, “Aku dah takde kaki”.

I was almost in tears. It will take at least 6 months before he can fully recover with 50% chance of full recovery,. He called in ma and they were both in deep tears. I knew at that instant that I need to leave the room.

I just felt bad for the un-seemingly run of bad luck that my brother had. I felt even worse when I knew that we were suppose to go and fix my headlights that day, and I was annoyed that he was late. I was just about to leave the house and do my chores when a pakcik came to the house to let us know that my brother was involved in an accident.

I took my car key and rush off to Hospital Selayang, where the ambulance had already made its way. And at that instant, I pray to God that it was nothing major.

He was in pain for a few hours before the doctor informed us that they could not operate instantly. There is already a long queue and since they only operate on Tuesday and Thursday, the next available option would be at least 1 or 2 weeks from then. We gasped in awe.

There and then, the critical decision was made. My brother is not insured, nor could he afford an expensive private care but we made a family decision to send him anyway. And that’s how I got to camp out in Colombia Hospital Puchong since Monday, and that was the last time I saw my room in Gombak.

After 3 days, I can tell you that he’s recovering but still in pain. Please pray for his speed recovery. God Bless.

2 comments:

Miss Indelicate said...

Su darling. I really hope your brother is doing well at home. He was discharged on Friday right? My prayers are with you and your family.

Suhana Sidik said...

Missy,
Thank you! And thanks for the chat yesterday! What happen to our Sunday get-together!!!